Complaints Procedure - Guidance for Parents

If you have a concern or complaint:

We would like you to tell us about it. We welcome suggestions for improving our work in the school. Be assured that no matter what you wish to tell us, our support and respect for you and your child in the school will not be affected in any way. Please tell us of your concern as soon as possible. It is difficult for us to investigate properly an incident or problem which has happened some time ago.

What to do first:

Most concerns can be sorted out quickly by speaking with your child’s class teacher.

All staff will make every effort to resolve your problem informally. They will make sure that they understand what you feel went wrong, and they will explain their own actions to you. They will ask what you would like the school to do to put things right. Of course, this does not mean that in every case they will come round to your point of view but it will help both you and the school to understand both sides of the question. It may also help to prevent a similar problem arising again.

What to do next:

If you are dissatisfied with the teacher’s response you can make a complaint to the Deputy Headteacher or Headteacher (a physical copy of the complaints form can be found at the school office)

If your complaint is about an action of the Headteacher personally, then you should refer it to the Chair of Governors. His/Her details are available on the School Website.

You may also find it helpful at this stage to have a copy of the full statement of the General Complaints Procedure as this explains in detail what procedures are followed. This is available from the school office.

The Headteacher (or nominee) will ask to meet you for a discussion of the problem. Again you may take a friend or someone else with you if you wish. The Headteacher (or nominee) will conduct a full investigation of the complaint and may interview any members of staff or pupils involved. You will receive a response to your complaint verbal and/or written.

If you are still unhappy

The problem will normally be solved by this stage. However, if you are still not satisfied you may wish to contact the Chair of the Governing Body to ask for referral of your complaint to the Complaints Committee of the governing body. It will then be heard by a group of three governors who have no previous knowledge of the problem and so will be able to give it a fresh assessment. You will be invited to attend and speak to the committee at a meeting which the Headteacher will also attend. The General Complaints Procedure statement explains how these meetings operate.